The Islamia University of Bahawalpur (IUB)
The Islamia University of Bahawalpur (abbreviated as IUB) (Urdu: جامعه اسلامیہ), colloquially known as Islamia University, is located in Bahawalpur, Punjab, Pakistan. University has many faculties including Engineering, Pharmacy and Alternative Medicine, Science, Arts, Languages, Social Sciences, Business and Information Technology.
The City of Bahawalpur has always been a seat of higher learning. Uch Sharif (a nearby ancient town) had one of the largest universities in the world where scholars from all over the world used to come for studies. As a continuation of this tradition a religious university Jamia Abbasia was established at Bahawalpur in 1925, following the academic pursuits of Jamia Al-Azhar, Egypt. The renowned scholars spread the beacon of Islam by teaching Tafseer of Quran, Hadith, Fiqh, History along with other contemporary subjects.
In view of the changing scenario, Jamia Abbasia was declared as general university in 1975, and renamed as Islamia University Bahawalpur which further modified during 2007 as The Islamia University of Bahawalpur. Initially it started functioning at Abbasia and Khawaja Fareed Campuses with ten departments. In order to construct a modern and self-contained campus, 1,250 acres (5.1 km2) of land was allotted to the university on Hasilpur Road about five Kilometer away from the city centre.
The sand dunes have been converted into well-built faculties, green lawns, hostels, residential colony, farms and orchards. It is known as Baghdad-ul- Jadeed Campus. The university started with ten departments but now this number has increased to 39 offering 53 disciplines. While planning to commence new departments and disciplines due consideration is given to market as well as area specific needs. Consequently, apart from conventional disciplines of Religious Affairs, Languages and Basic Sciences; education is being imparted in the areas of Pharmacy and Alternative medicine, Business Administration, Engineering, Agriculture, Veterinary Sciences, Informatics, Law, Education, Fine Arts, and Sports Sciences etc. The university values quality education rather than quantity. Towards achievement of this end a team of highly qualified and committed faculty members has been developed. Moreover, research is being made corner stone of the educational philosophy.
This time IUB has more than 53 departments, Faculties and centers.
1. Faculty of Science
* Department of Physics
* Department of Chemistry
* Department of Mathematics
* Department of Statistics.
* Department of Geography.
* University College of Agriculture & Environmental Sciences
* University College of Engineering & Technology
* University College of Veterinary & Animal Sciences
* Cholistan Institute of Desert Studies
2. Faculty of Arts
* Department of Economics
* Department of English
* Department of Library and Information Science
* Department of Media Studies
* Department of Political Science & International Relations
* Department of Saraiki
* Department of Urdu and Iqbaliat
3. Faculty of Islamic Learning
* History & Pakistan Studies
* Islamic Studies
* Modern Progressive Center of Excellence in Islamic Studies
4. Faculty of Commerce & Management Sciences
* Computer Science & Information Technology
* Management Sciences
5. Faculty of Education
* Applied Psychology
* Educational Training
* Fine Arts
* Health & Physical Education (Science Sports)
* Social Work
6. Faculty of Pharmacy & Alternative Medicine
* University College of Conventional Medicine
* Sub Campus Rahim Yar Khan
* Sub Campus Bahawalnagar
In order to provide opportunities of higher education to the youth at their door step, two campuses were established at Rahim Yar Khan and Bahawalnagar in 2005. Initially departments of Management Science and Computer Science & Information Technology were established for which response was very encouraging. The departments of Commerce, Education and Educational Training were also launched during the academic year 2006-07.
In order to facilitate the students sufficient hostel accommodation is available. Presently, five hostels for boys and Three for girls are in use while another hostel for girls is under construction. The accommodation capacity of these hostels is more than two thousand five hundred altogether. All the old hostel buildings have been renovated and equipped with better living facilities.
* Abu Bakar Hall
* Umer Hall
* Ali Hall
* Iqbal Hall
* Jinnah Hall
* Fatima Hall
* Ayesha Hall
* Amna Hall
* Saqib Hall
As the main university campus is away from the city centre, buses and coasters ply to transport the students, teaching and non-teaching staff. The facility is also available at Rahim Yar Khan and Bahawalnagar campuses. The university has a transport fleet comprising of 40 buses for students and 04 coasters for teaching staff.
1) On 18-02-2010, some students of other departments got engaged with an engineering student on a minor issue. When the clash was about to go worst, Principal of UCET alongwith other faculty members controlled the situation and save the students and university from major clash.
2) 19-02-2010, again students of some departments got engaged with some engineering students and in this dispute two engineering students got gun shots in their legs.
3) Taking advantage of the situation some anti-peace persons spread the rumour of death of those students who got shot. On hearing the death news, engineering students over-reacted and got violent.
4) Due to the neglegence of University Administration and University Security, engineering students damaged the university property.
5) VC ordered to close the university for a week and to inquire the metter to a committee.
6) On 26-02-2010, university closure been extended upto another week.
7) On 01-03-2010, UCET Administration recieved a "compulsary rustication" orders of the students who violated the law & order in the university. It was stated that names of the students ll be forwarded by the security division.
8) On 03-03-2010, UCET Administration recieved a list of 23 students including the Final Year students.
9) UCET (Principal & Faculty Members) were left with no choice to follow that orders.
10) On 04-03-2010, in order to save the future of the students, UCET's 42 Faculty Members alongwith Principal resigned not only from their designation but from their service.
11) Due to the absence of a couple of faculty members and refining the subject of resignation, resignation got a delay of one day in dispatching.
12) On 05-03-2010, resignation been dispatched to the Registrar and higher authorities. Copy of resignation is available at http://saveiub.faithweb.com/index_1.html.
13) On 05-03-2010, at 4:30 PM, Prof. Jan M. Keerio been terminated from the post of Principal.
14) Not only this, VC called that dispute a murdurus attack on himself and declared Principal UCET masterminding that attack.
15) The link of that press release is http://iub.edu.pk/Press_Termination_5_3_10.html
16) On 06-03-2010, UCET Principal alongwith all faculty members cleared all VC mis-statements.
17) VC appointed a new Principal who do not even qualify the HEC & PEC criteria to be a Principal. He is with non-teaching background.
18) On 07-03-2010, instead of considering the resignation basis of UCET Faculty Members, VC announced "Immediate Requirement of Faculty at UCET". Link is http://iub.edu.pk/Jobs_Engineering_7_3_10.html
19) This proves the VC's discrimination towards UCET, UCET Faculty Members and UCET Students.
20) IUB Faculty Members and Principal UCET have given their everything to save the future of students. Now to see what we have to pay back.
RISE UP IUB, Its not about UCET only.